Tuesday, September 26, 2006

"I'm just a bad employee"

Nathan Kaiser is Seattle entrepreneur who interviews Internet entrepreneurs for his website, nPost.com. It's a great place to catch up on interviews with young, cutting-edge entrepreneurs and study how they think and act. Tremendous insights to be gained.

Consider these comments from Leonard Brody, the Vancouver-based CEO and Founder of NowPublic. He does one of the best jobs I've seen in explaining how an entrepreneur's life differs from that of a standard corporate manager/employee.

"This is my fifth company. Frankly, there's no divine inspirational moment. I'm just a bad employee. I don't answer to people particularly well and I tend to be a much higher level thinker so where my thoughts are typically fifty thousand feet in the air, it's very difficult I think, when you're working in a larger organization to be creative.

"... Twelve years after starting my first company I realized that have a job is quite luxurious. You show up there's a desk and a phone. There's lunch. You don't have to worry about who is keeping the lights on. You do your job, you work and typically you go home and the stresses of work, while you may carry little bits of task-related things you have to do, the overall direction and strategy and vision is not really in your hands. There is an element of peace of mind you've got that you wouldn't have if you were an entrepreneur.

"The luxury that you trade off for that is having to deal with other people's politics and the organizational problems. It is an intense ride being an entrepreneur. I think most people underestimate that. I think they think it's the easiest thing in the world. It's a wonderful thing to work for yourself and there's no stress. Stress is ten times what it would be in the workforce, but I wouldn't have it any other way."

Read the complete interview here.

No comments: